5 Winter Car Care Tips for the Chicago Snow
With the holidays among us, we have several months of chilly winter weather to look forward to here in Chicago, Illinois and as you know, it can get pretty ugly out there.
Ultra-cold weather and heavy snow fall can lead to some pretty nasty conditions for your car. That’s why we here at Bettenhausen Automotive want to empower you with a few simple action steps that can virtually guarantee your car runs perfectly throughout the winter.
Everything can be done in an afternoon at very little cost. We ensure that if you take action on these simple steps you’ll have a winter full of worry-free driving without all the unexpected hassles.
Here are 5 quick car-care tips for winter driving in Chicago:
1. Check your battery. Winter is hard on your battery and the colder the weather, the harder it has to work. Try to figure out how old your battery is. If it’s more than 3 to 4 years old, now is the time to have it tested. Also, make sure your connections are clean. If necessary, remove the heads and clean them with some baking soda and an old toothbrush. The idea is to make sure your battery has the best chance to start under any condition. You can have your battery checked out for free at the Bettenhausen Service Center. This is a great insurance policy to prevent you from getting stranded out of the blue.
2. Get your tires checked. As the weather goes up and down, your tires go through some pretty dramatic changes as well. For every 10 degrees the temperature drops, your tires can lose up to 2 pounds of pressure. For this reason, it’s imperative to check the pressure of all four tires. You can do it yourself with a $3 tire gauge or you can bring it into Bettenhausen Tire Center where we’ll check them out for free.
3. Seriously consider winter tires. Winter tires are some of the best insurance policies you could ever have if you’re going to be driving on snowy roads. They can improve braking performance by 50.8% and can improve acceleration on icy roads by 37.5%. They also significantly reduce the chance of skidding off slippery roads where you could be left stranded. Furthermore, winter tires virtually pay for themselves by doubling the life of your regular all-season tires as long as you switch them out, back-and-forth, as the seasons change.
4. Simple routine maintenance. Here’s a quick breakdown: check all your basic fluids. Make sure you have the proper level of coolant and make sure it’s clean. Consider an oil change. Make sure you have plenty of windshield fluid and get a winter blend. Check your windshield wiper blades for cracks and wear. Check the belts for cracks and check the hoses for any irregularities. Again, you can do this inexpensively by yourself, or you can bring your car to Bettenhausen’s Service Center and we can do everything on this list for a nominal fee.
5. Have an emergency kit. This all-purpose life saver should include at least the following: jumper cables, window scraper, cell phone charger, blanket, flashlight, snacks, bottled water, road service cards like AAA, “Fix-A-Flat” tire pressure in a can, and maps.
We know this may seem like a lot to do, but we promise it will be worth the time and effort!
A premier Chicago dealership, Bettenhausen Automotive is a Chrysler dealer providing the finest in new and pre-owned Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and FIAT vehicles. We’re here to answer any questions you may have about safe winter driving and our Bettenhausen Tire and Service centers are here to help. Come visit us at Bettenhausen Automotive near Chicago, IL today, and learn more about the difference between gas and diesel trucks!